05 January 2007
Because everyone is entitled to my opinion
Remember - if you want my commentary on a news story, email me. I'll be more than happy to give you my opinion.

The Cop Magnet asked me last night what I thought about the congressman being sworn in using the koran. Here's my thoughts:

I don't have a problem with it. Oh, I can see both sides of the audience right now.

The liberals are hootin' and hollerin' about how happy they are to see someone Practical have such an open mind. LOL Fight

The uber-conservatives are hootin' and hollerin' about how next thing they know they'll see me endorsing burkas and praying to allah. Bad Mood

Now let's look at the real facts. Does everyone remember going to Civics or American History? Can anyone tell me why our forefathers came here? Can anyone tell me what Amendment One gives us? Those of you that said freedom of religion get a cookie (but you have to buy it for yourself)! Snack

Our forefathers came here to get away from forced religion. If we begin to get upset over someone using their own holy book as a means to be sworn in to office, we begin to forget why we are here to begin with. I don't believe that making him swear on the Bible would make him a better congressman than swearing on the book of his own religion. Would I have liked to see him use a Bible? You betcha! I'm about as Pentecostal as they come..well, to some I am pretty liberal because I don't think judgment is my job. Shrug Shoulders 3

This whole thing can be likened to this: I'm Pentecostal. I don't think it is appropriate that I should wear pants (note that I said I don't think it is appropriate - I never said sin) since I am a woman and consider pants to be man's attire. Let's say you are non-denominational and you don't have that conviction. If I visited your church, and no one knew I was Pentecostal, would I be condemned for dressing conservatively and modestly? No, because no one would know. Now, if I came in announcing that I'm Pentecostal and this is why I do what I do, I'm going to encounter opposition (not that I care what people think because I'll tell you why I do what I do without a second thought). Some in that church will think what I am doing isn't right.

He has just as much of a right to swear on his holy book as I have to follow my Lord Jesus Christ and the standards set forth by the Bible and my church. Obviously, I'd love to see him convert because I am a Christian...just as I am sure Muslims would love to see Christians convert. The fact of the matter is, he's just as much of an American as any of us (especially the ones complaining) and he has the freedom to worship in the manner that he chooses.

Personally, I am glad to see him taking a stand for his belief. Now, we'll just have to wait and see if he is a "moderate Muslim". I am sure there are lots of them - it just doesn't seem like any of them want to stand up and be heard. Body Builder
posted by -atomik kitten @ 11:20 AM  
3 Comments:
  • At 11:48 PM, Blogger Melessa Gregg said…

    I agree so much with what you've said here. I am Mormon and live a very conservative lifestyle because I believe in it. However, I've never held anyone else's lifestyle or religious convictions (or lack thereof) against them because that is their choice. I'm considered pretty "liberal" at my church too. I think it's kind of funny.

     
  • At 8:09 PM, Blogger Margaret said…

    I guess it means more, for the guy to swear in over his doctrine. I mean, if I had to lie I could easily swear over the Webster Dictionary because it means nothing to me. But Swearing by or on anything according to the Bible is not appropriate. Really though, isn't the swearing merely cermonious now?

     
  • At 1:55 PM, Blogger Melessa Gregg said…

    margaret-I do think it's all ceremonious now anyway.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
About Me


Name: The Little Woman-atomik kitten
Home: Oklahoma, United States
About Me: I guess you'll learn about me by visiting this blog.

See my complete profile

B-List Blogger

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Get your own free Blogoversary button!

Add Snippets to your site



________________
Add this to your site

Blinkies
Babe Blinkies

Blinkies
Babe Blinkies

Blinkies
Christian Blinkies

Blinkies
Family Blinkies

Blinkies
Family Blinkies

Blinkies
Mom Blinkies

MySpace Icons

Join Associated Content

Characters


  • The Cop Magnet - my husband
  • Bry-onicle - my 9 year old son that loves Bionicle
  • Monkey Butt - my 7 year old son that loves adventure
  • Squarepants Star - my 9 year old step-son that loves Spongebob
  • Nana Beachy - my MIL
  • Big Baldy - my older brother
  • Dumb Dog - my very dumb turkish sheep dog (Anatolian Shepherd)
  • FC15 - my cat that weighs 15 pounds
  • Pup Dog - Boomer, our American Boxer
  • Unkey Monkey - my 19 y.o. brother in law
  • The Little Miss - my 3 y.o. niece
  • Fatty McChuckles - USAF BIL, father of The Little Miss
  • Peg Leg - the wife of Fatty McChuckles and mom of The Little Miss
  • Grandpa - Grandpa Joe; my husband's grandfather
Previous Post


Archives

Links

Blog Rolls

Image hosting by TinyPic

Affiliates