19 June 2007
Time Travel Tuesday - Cooking Edition

This week's theme is cooking. We are supposed to talk about our first experience. I've been cooking since I was about seven, so I'll focus on a time that I really screwed things up.

I was 15 and my parents weren't home. I decided that I was going to make chicken parmesan a la Miracle Whip (the recipe on the back of the Miracle Whip jar). So I heated up the oven. I took a cookie sheet and I greased it (you know where this is going, don't you?) with a lot of vegetable shortening because who likes burnt chicken?

I got the chicken all prepared and put it on the greased cookie sheet. Then I stuck it into the gas stove. About ten minutes later I noticed a ton of smoke pouring out. I run in there and open up the oven thinking, "It can't possibly be burning! I used plenty of grease!" Boy was that right!

I used so much grease that the oven was in flames! Who'd have thought that if you take a cookie sheet and grease it with shortening (an old fashioned cookie sheet - the one with only one raised edge) and stick some chicken on it...that you could catch the oven on fire when the shortening melted?

Thank goodness one of my (very cute) neighbors was at home! Now I know how to put out a grease fire!

Labels:

posted by -atomik kitten @ 9:33 AM  
12 Comments:
  • At 9:50 AM, Blogger Annie said…

    Cute story! You must have used a lot of grease!!!
    ♥♥♥♥
    annie
    My Life as Annie!

     
  • At 11:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ha...I can so totally picture me burning up a stove.

    Glad ya'll got it out and no one got hurt!

     
  • At 11:43 AM, Blogger Leni said…

    LOL! My dh and I still argue about who's fault our oven fire was. His for putting the tupperware bowl in the oven to store or mine for turning it on w/o checking?

     
  • At 12:12 PM, Blogger Karen Hossink said…

    You must have been scared! I sortof, kinda had a little grease fire once, too. I'd forgotten all about it until reading your post.

    I'm curious, did the chicken turn out???

     
  • At 12:38 PM, Blogger Jenny said…

    That is hilarious!!! Every blog I've visited today, I've read your comments, and decided I like you. I think if we lived close enough, we'd be good irl friends, but that's just me. :) You seem up front, no masks, and you'll tell it like it is. I need that in my life. Anyway, love the cooking story. My mom has a pan just like that, and I never would use it!!

     
  • At 1:50 PM, Blogger -atomik kitten said…

    The chicken turned out pretty good, actually. I got smart and finished it on the stove top. LOL

     
  • At 4:50 PM, Blogger Hyperactive Lu said…

    OH MY GOSH! HA! HA!

     
  • At 5:53 PM, Blogger Annie said…

    I thought I already posted a comment, guess blogger ate it :o)

    Thanks for sharing your story!


    Annie

     
  • At 5:57 PM, Blogger Dr.John said…

    Grilled chicken and you didn't even need a grill.

     
  • At 4:51 AM, Blogger Lorie said…

    Too cute! Thanks fopr sharing!

     
  • At 6:23 AM, Blogger Jane said…

    can't say I have ever caught an oven on fire...but there's hope for me yet!

     
  • At 10:34 AM, Blogger Renee said…

    Great story...though I'm glad no one got hurt. Have a great week!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
About Me


Name: The Little Woman-atomik kitten
Home: Oklahoma, United States
About Me: I guess you'll learn about me by visiting this blog.

See my complete profile

B-List Blogger

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Get your own free Blogoversary button!

Add Snippets to your site



________________
Add this to your site

Blinkies
Babe Blinkies

Blinkies
Babe Blinkies

Blinkies
Christian Blinkies

Blinkies
Family Blinkies

Blinkies
Family Blinkies

Blinkies
Mom Blinkies

MySpace Icons

Join Associated Content

Characters


  • The Cop Magnet - my husband
  • Bry-onicle - my 9 year old son that loves Bionicle
  • Monkey Butt - my 7 year old son that loves adventure
  • Squarepants Star - my 9 year old step-son that loves Spongebob
  • Nana Beachy - my MIL
  • Big Baldy - my older brother
  • Dumb Dog - my very dumb turkish sheep dog (Anatolian Shepherd)
  • FC15 - my cat that weighs 15 pounds
  • Pup Dog - Boomer, our American Boxer
  • Unkey Monkey - my 19 y.o. brother in law
  • The Little Miss - my 3 y.o. niece
  • Fatty McChuckles - USAF BIL, father of The Little Miss
  • Peg Leg - the wife of Fatty McChuckles and mom of The Little Miss
  • Grandpa - Grandpa Joe; my husband's grandfather
Previous Post


Archives

Links

Blog Rolls

Image hosting by TinyPic

Affiliates