21 November 2006
Almost Thanksgiving...
And I am so glad. It is my favorite holiday. Part of the reason is because it is so often overlooked. My little town already has a Christmas tree lit up, the wreaths are on the light posts, and our radio stations have already started the Christmas music.

My neighbor was putting up his Christmas decor around his house this past weekend. My husband thoroughly ribbed him for it. His wife wanted the stuff up already. Can you believe it?

I like Christmas. I like what it is about. I think we should celebrate Christ all year long. I honestly believe in honoring what we perceive to be His birthday (even though it more than likely isn't). I just think that we've let Sprawl-Mart and all the other merchandisers hook us way too early.

Okay, so back to what I really wanted to talk about - Thanksgiving!

I love Thanksgiving....even Grandpa Joe's long winded prayers which end up with him in tears missing his beloved late wife...and he quits crying, forgets we said grace, and does it again...and again...and again. Well, he is almost 90. He loves being around "the babies" too. Keep in mind that "the babies" all range from 18 years old (Unkey Monkey) to 3 years old (my niece). He's going to have a fit when he sees his truck out in the backyard...where Unkey Monkey cut the muffler off of it...I suspect with a hacksaw. Yes, we are down right classy.

Let's talk food.

Deep fried turkey (there goes the five pounds I lost)
Two kinds of mashed potatoes (the real ones and then my garlic mashed potatoes)
Pea Salad
Tomato and onion salad (if I start feeling frisky)
Macaroni and Cheese
Two kinds of stuffing (home made and some out of a box)
Two turkey gravies (because I hate giblets, that's why and no it does not offend my MIL when I bring my own gravy in a jar LOL)
Candied yams (just for me!!)
Homemade bread (made by me - DS1 will probably help. His class made wheat bread the other day and he did an excellent job)
Cherry pie (from MawMaw)
Pecan pie
Peach cobbler (courtesy of yours truly)
Dalmation bark (white chocolate melted with chocolate chips in it)
Deviled eggs (probably - we have them every year...why change?)

That's just at my in laws'. My MIL does most of the cooking. I go to help out but she takes a certain pride in being the matriarch. I just do what she needs me to do and I do some desserts. I really want a rice and broccoli casserole so I'll probably be the one that throws that together.

We usually eat around 1. Around five-ish, we'll head over to my mother's house.

The kids made great centerpieces in Children's Church last Thursday night. We'll be using those. I'll be behind the camera, as always.
posted by -atomik kitten @ 3:15 PM  
2 Comments:
  • At 7:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nothing wrong with celebrating Christmas early... :) I mean here in the Philippines, generally, once the months start ending in "-ber" it's already acceptable to consider it the Christmas season! Although it does seem kinda disappointing that the celebrations seem to start later and later. It's almost December and we're still not in full swing these days.

     
  • At 11:50 AM, Blogger Margaret said…

    I love Thanksgiving also. It seems to always be the time of year or rather fall season, when I snap out of it and get back in the grove.

    Happy Thanksgiving!! Katie and I sat down and watched the entire macys parade on TV for the first time. She really enjoyed it. (As if we can get those big assed balloons up in this house)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
About Me


Name: The Little Woman-atomik kitten
Home: Oklahoma, United States
About Me: I guess you'll learn about me by visiting this blog.

See my complete profile

B-List Blogger

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Get your own free Blogoversary button!

Add Snippets to your site



________________
Add this to your site

Blinkies
Babe Blinkies

Blinkies
Babe Blinkies

Blinkies
Christian Blinkies

Blinkies
Family Blinkies

Blinkies
Family Blinkies

Blinkies
Mom Blinkies

MySpace Icons

Join Associated Content

Characters


  • The Cop Magnet - my husband
  • Bry-onicle - my 9 year old son that loves Bionicle
  • Monkey Butt - my 7 year old son that loves adventure
  • Squarepants Star - my 9 year old step-son that loves Spongebob
  • Nana Beachy - my MIL
  • Big Baldy - my older brother
  • Dumb Dog - my very dumb turkish sheep dog (Anatolian Shepherd)
  • FC15 - my cat that weighs 15 pounds
  • Pup Dog - Boomer, our American Boxer
  • Unkey Monkey - my 19 y.o. brother in law
  • The Little Miss - my 3 y.o. niece
  • Fatty McChuckles - USAF BIL, father of The Little Miss
  • Peg Leg - the wife of Fatty McChuckles and mom of The Little Miss
  • Grandpa - Grandpa Joe; my husband's grandfather
Previous Post


Archives

Links

Blog Rolls

Image hosting by TinyPic

Affiliates