09 April 2007
Because everyone's entitled to my opinion...
I want to look at the Don Imus thing from two perspectives. Bear with me - you know how I tend to ramble.

First I want to look at it in terms of being a daughter of God. Then I want to look at it strictly from what was said.

Disclaimer: I don't listen to Don Imus. I don't know the first thing about him other than he's some old guy on the radio and TV that wears a cowboy hat. From what I've gathered he is like a really geriatric version of Howard Stern (not that he's a spring chicken either).

One:

Proverbs 18:21 KJV - Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.

I don't say this to Don Imus or Al Sharpton or anyone other than those that choose to read this verse and apply it to themselves. Everyone needs to use their own mental filter and watch what they say.

First and foremost, we find ourselves in a world that strives to be politically correct (no matter how much I disagree with that) and "accepting" (I'll get to that in a minute). We shouldn't need the FCC or anyone else censoring us...but apparently we do need them because we are only cleverly disguised (or in his case not so cleverly) as responsible adults.

What comes out of our mouth can either help or hurt. There is no middle ground. What ever we say will be scrutinized, dissected, shaked, baked, and served. We have to live with what we say. Of course someone will always take us out of context (but I am not going to discuss that).

There's a reason why the Bible says we are to take every thought into subjection and to think upon things that are lovely and just. Guys like him are on because people listen to him. They find the garbage that comes out just fascinating. Proverbs has another great verse and when I heard about this it came to mind (because he's only on because people listen to him).

Proverbs 26:11 - As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly.

Do you really think that suspending Imus is going to kiss the boo boo and make it all better? Of course not. The ratings will be better than ever because everyone (the fools) will want to tune in and either see what he screws up next (unless, of course, it really wasn't a screw up and is just a ploy to increase ratings).

Al Sharpton, however, needs to remember the words of Jesus - forgive seventy times seven. If you are smited, turn the other cheek. If you want mercy, you have to give mercy.

Do I think that what Imus said is right or that he shouldn't have been punished? No, of course not. He made a broad generalization of some people he doesn't know. *If* this was indeed a foot-in-mouth occasion instead of a ratings ploy, he should receive some kind of punishment. Yet other radio personalities need to be aware: no one is perfect or immune from screwing up.

Two:

We don't know that his comments were, in fact, racist. I didn't read or hear that he used the N word. Sure, what he said was broad and over-generalized. But if someone gets their panties in a bunch with the words nappy headed and ho, perhaps they need to see what's really bothering them.

No, he shouldn't have said it. He doesn't know them from anyone else. What I am about to say will probably get me some heat too. If you don't want to be talked about and insinuated against then maybe you should take steps to present yourselves in a more professional or respectable manner. Now I am not talking about the women's basketball players. Have you turned on BET lately? I find it odd and insulting (as a Christian) that they have preaching on Sunday mornings and practically naked women (hos) running around the rest of the time.

We shouldn't be judged by how someone of our own race dresses or behaves, but that is just the way the world is. I've met some wonderful, kind, educated, and talented blacks. I refuse to use the term African American. If you were born here, you are AMERICAN. I don't make you call me a Viking American. You don't call my husband a Scottish American. You are an American. Does that make me racist? Some probably think so.

I live in a trailer park. If you didn't know that I lived here and you just met me or talked with me you would probably think that I am intelligent, half way nice to look at, kind, and pretty funny...but if all you heard was that I lived in a trailer park and you never talked to me...you'd form opinions of me in your head that are not true. You might think I'm lazy. You might think I'm a drunk. You might think all kinds of things that just aren't true. You'd form an uneducated personal opinion - just like Don Imus did. Should you be fired or thrown in jail for offending me?

I read an essay entitled Racism: Something About it Makes it Hard to Name. I was offended when I read it. It capitalizes the word black but not white. So does that mean that the author thinks that she, as a black woman, is better than I am since I'm a white woman? Blacks aren't the only people that racism affects. Bry-onicle was pulled out of public school in Arkansas when he was in kindergarten. His teacher, a black woman, said that all whites think they are better than blacks. He didn't even comprehend color other than from me saying, "God loves color and that's why everyone can be different colors. It's beautiful!" My husband's best friend is black. Bry-onicle was five and came home in tears because his uncle wasn't going to love him anymore. He cried and cried and said, "I don't think I'm better than him, Mama! I don't!" Of course I knew that and his dad knew that and his uncle knew that...

I have no problem with people wanting to honor their cultural backgrounds. We just need to get rid of the names black, white, etc. If you are born here or live here - you are now an American.

Get used to it or get out.

Labels:

posted by -atomik kitten @ 6:51 PM  
4 Comments:
  • At 8:21 PM, Blogger Margaret said…

    What's up with "Nappy head" anyways? Isn't it a watered down version of Bed head? You know when you go to bed and your hair isn't quite dry and you have a "Little Rascal Alfalfa" sprout just standing out wavin' in the wind.

    Now, as far as callin' them "Hos"... yeah, that's going a little too far. Paris Hilton, Nicky Richie, Brit Spears and half the crowd that's out there now.. that's one thing. They be Hos.. but a college girls basketball team. That wasn't too nice.

     
  • At 8:24 PM, Blogger -atomik kitten said…

    I guess it goes back to self-defined words. I have poofy hair. It's straight but poofy. I guess that when it gets all tangled it can be nappy.

    When Monkey Butt was a baby he had curly hair...and it was nappy for sure. We had to keep baby oil in it to be able to comb it without ripping it out of his skull.

    You are right - those definitely be hos.

     
  • At 8:41 PM, Blogger Amy said…

    so who's the one that needs to resign anyway? http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=2411

    Isn't that kind of like the kettle calling the pot.....whoops better not say that!

     
  • At 9:40 PM, Blogger -atomik kitten said…

    Ohhh...snap! LOL

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
About Me


Name: The Little Woman-atomik kitten
Home: Oklahoma, United States
About Me: I guess you'll learn about me by visiting this blog.

See my complete profile

B-List Blogger

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Get your own free Blogoversary button!

Add Snippets to your site



________________
Add this to your site

Blinkies
Babe Blinkies

Blinkies
Babe Blinkies

Blinkies
Christian Blinkies

Blinkies
Family Blinkies

Blinkies
Family Blinkies

Blinkies
Mom Blinkies

MySpace Icons

Join Associated Content

Characters


  • The Cop Magnet - my husband
  • Bry-onicle - my 9 year old son that loves Bionicle
  • Monkey Butt - my 7 year old son that loves adventure
  • Squarepants Star - my 9 year old step-son that loves Spongebob
  • Nana Beachy - my MIL
  • Big Baldy - my older brother
  • Dumb Dog - my very dumb turkish sheep dog (Anatolian Shepherd)
  • FC15 - my cat that weighs 15 pounds
  • Pup Dog - Boomer, our American Boxer
  • Unkey Monkey - my 19 y.o. brother in law
  • The Little Miss - my 3 y.o. niece
  • Fatty McChuckles - USAF BIL, father of The Little Miss
  • Peg Leg - the wife of Fatty McChuckles and mom of The Little Miss
  • Grandpa - Grandpa Joe; my husband's grandfather
Previous Post


Archives

Links

Blog Rolls

Image hosting by TinyPic

Affiliates