03 March 2007
Wow - amazing how compliant the school became...
When we threatened them with a media blitz.

The Cop Magnet and I sat with the principal at Bry-onicle's school for over an hour. She said what part of the problem was is that Bry-onicle is "way up here" (using her hands to measure intelligence) and the other boys were "way down here" (I guess she was indicating they are normal intelligence). She wasn't telling us anything we didn't know. She said that what we had to realize is that she has over 400 students and that the only way she knows them by name is if they are in trouble.

I understand that...frankly, it is refreshing to know my child is not in her office. She said that part of the problem (according to two of the other boys) was that Bry-onicle had offered the kid a "flower". Bry-onicle was in the office at this time and corrected her - he gave the other kid a honeysuckle. Our yard is covered in them and we sit outside and eat them.

The kid that admitted to physically threatening him (but didn't own up to threatening him with a gun) is now on lunch and recess suspension - meaning he spends his lunch and recess with the principal. The principal is also changing the lunchroom seating. Bry-onicle, two from his class, and the perps from the other class all end up sitting together because of the fact they bring their lunch quite a bit. Now Bry-onicle and his buds will sit on one end of the table...and the perps will sit at the other end on the opposite side.

Memos went out to all recess and lunch room monitors about the situation. Now Bry-onicle knows that the teachers must take him seriously. He can also go directly to the principal or what ever teacher he feels most comfortable with telling.

These are steps in the right direction, but we are keeping an eye on the situation. Bry-onicle said that yesterday the other two boys approached him at lunch and apologized to him for picking on him.

Why can't parents raise their children to respect each other??
posted by -atomik kitten @ 10:13 AM  
4 Comments:
  • At 10:06 PM, Blogger Margaret said…

    That's cool that it worked out, but keep your ears and eyes open.

    Parents these days are having a hard enough time getting their kids to respect them let alone anyone else. But you know what, I hate to say it some parents don't even deserve to be respected by their own kids.

    There I said it. It's a shame, but there are increasingly more and more negligent parents these days. They don't take the time nor make the effort to build and keep their marriage and/or relationships together - let alone family values.

    I can't believe the number of teens in this area that are walking the streets with nothing to do or nowhere to go at 11pm or sometimes even 3 am on the weekends. Four year olds are alone riding their bikes out on busy side streets. It is insane.

    And I'm bugged by it, because someday I'm gonna hear - "Well so and so is allowed to do this or that. Why can't I?"

     
  • At 2:13 PM, Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky said…

    I am soooo glad that it worked out. The one thing that surprised me was what you said at the end. That the perps approached him and apologized. Forcing kids (and adults) to own up to their actions is a priceless gift.

    Good for you! And Bry-onicle!

     
  • At 6:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Have you considered homeschooling? If he is being bullied AND he has above average intelligence, he sounds like a good candidate for HSing.

     
  • At 7:13 PM, Blogger -atomik kitten said…

    Hello Anonymous (and feel free to not be anonymous around these parts - as I am the web mistress for a homeschooling website LOL). We used to homeschool when my husband was in the USAF. This is going to sound ridiculous of me to say, but aside from this one incident the schools here are excellent and they are small enough to give him advanced curriculum.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
About Me


Name: The Little Woman-atomik kitten
Home: Oklahoma, United States
About Me: I guess you'll learn about me by visiting this blog.

See my complete profile

B-List Blogger

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Get your own free Blogoversary button!

Add Snippets to your site



________________
Add this to your site

Blinkies
Babe Blinkies

Blinkies
Babe Blinkies

Blinkies
Christian Blinkies

Blinkies
Family Blinkies

Blinkies
Family Blinkies

Blinkies
Mom Blinkies

MySpace Icons

Join Associated Content

Characters


  • The Cop Magnet - my husband
  • Bry-onicle - my 9 year old son that loves Bionicle
  • Monkey Butt - my 7 year old son that loves adventure
  • Squarepants Star - my 9 year old step-son that loves Spongebob
  • Nana Beachy - my MIL
  • Big Baldy - my older brother
  • Dumb Dog - my very dumb turkish sheep dog (Anatolian Shepherd)
  • FC15 - my cat that weighs 15 pounds
  • Pup Dog - Boomer, our American Boxer
  • Unkey Monkey - my 19 y.o. brother in law
  • The Little Miss - my 3 y.o. niece
  • Fatty McChuckles - USAF BIL, father of The Little Miss
  • Peg Leg - the wife of Fatty McChuckles and mom of The Little Miss
  • Grandpa - Grandpa Joe; my husband's grandfather
Previous Post


Archives

Links

Blog Rolls

Image hosting by TinyPic

Affiliates